This project funded by

Midstate Electric Coop logo

Midstate Electric Cooperative

La Pine, OR
PV System Size:
7.00 - kilowatts
Technology Type:
About the School:

Midstate Electric Coop's administration building, completed in September of 2005, was the first LEED® certified building in Central Oregon and the first LEED® certified electric cooperative in the world. 

Buildings seeking LEED® certification are evaluated in six categories: Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, Energy & Atmosphere, Materials & Resources, Indoor Environmental Quality, and Innovation & Design. The 7-kilowatt photovoltaic (PV) system that sits atop the building's parking structure is expected to supply 12 percent of the annual energy consumed on-site. Midstate plans to purchase wind energy to provide the remaining 88% of the required electricity.

Energy monitoring provided to the school by the Solar 4R Schools program has connected the live performance data from their PV system to the Energy Exploration Center at Students and educators nationwide can chart, graph and analyze the system's performance data for educational purposes.