About CE (formerly called Solar 4R Schools)
What is CE?
CE is a national clean energy, career connected education program from Bonneville Environmental Foundation. Together with schools, educators and industry, we strive to build a clean energy future to ensure that our communities and the environment are thriving and resilient. We work to expand access to opportunities for all students regardless of their geography, gender, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status. CE is funded by corporations, regional utilities, and philanthropic organizations. To date, our funders have impacted more than 180,000 students nationwide through CE programming. The CE program brochure can be viewed here.
CE Vision: Powered by a clean energy economy, our communities and environment are thriving and resilient – in one generation.
Theory of Change
The current energy workforce is retiring at a rapid pace, while at the same time energy jobs are evolving into one of the fastest growing career options
The energy industry needs tech-savvy problem solvers, but is faced with a talent (workforce) and skills gap
Students around the country and particularly in under-resourced and underserved communities face with an opportunity gap and inequitable access to these opportunities
We seek to address the following question: How do we inspire and prepare the future energy workforce and consumers to engage in the clean energy economy, when energy is something not well understood by many and overlooked by most?
To face this challenge, CE provides educators (formal and nonformal), with tools and resources that illuminate pathways to science and engineering career opportunities for all students, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, geography or socioeconomic status. By collaborating with educators, we co-create locally relevant clean energy programming that meets district or organizational educational goals and priorities.
CE’s customized solutions employ a variety of tactics:
- Directly engage with schools, districts and community organizations
- Provide customized teacher trainings & leadership institutes
- Ranges from a conference session, to full-day training, summer institute or year-long curriculum development lab
- Create teacher generated classroom lesson plans published to our online Educator Library
- Equip educators with durable, innovative science materials
- Design engaging student Engineering Challenges
- Develop online solar data displays and interactive kiosks
- Reached 190,000+ Students
- Activated in 25 States and Washington D.C.
- Trained 2,600 Educators
- Engaged 880 Schools
- Equipped Educators with $860,000 in Science Materials
- Provided 12,400 Hours of Professional Development
On this website...
We’ve developed one of the most comprehensive, teacher-driven renewable energy education programs available to K-12 teachers nationwide. Our customized teacher trainings, teacher-generated classroom activities, online solar Energy Exploration Center, and hands-on science kits bridge the gap between a demand for CTE/STEM education, teacher skill development and seamless integration of these interactive STEM resources into the classroom.